It is so great to show off a finished quilt, it has felt like a long time since I worked on a big project and could boast a finish. This quilt has been a lot of work to cut, piece and quilt and has been hours in the making but I am thrilled with it now and I am never parting with it!
All the top fabrics are Liberty tana lawn. It is so freeing to put so many different prints and colours together in this haphazard way. Providing you avoid similar colours being adjacent to one another, I don't think you can go wrong. I love the mixture of dark and light, pastels and brights, as well as large and small scale prints. Most of these fabrics are florals, but I am glad to have sourced some Liberty prints with animals in them. It wouldn't really be a very "me" quilt if there weren't critters in amongst the fabrics!
I decided to have a go at "stitch in the ditch" quilting for two reasons; firstly, I need to perfect this type of quilting and to "skill up", secondly (and more importantly) my usual choice for tramline quilting felt like just too much work. Stitch in the ditch meant half the amount of quilting I would ordinarily do. I know that it's not a great job, but I don't think it's too shabby and I am definitely going to practise this again in the future.
The backing fabric is not by Liberty, but is a cotton lawn and goes really well with the front fabrics. I bought the fabric in a sale and don't know which company produced the fabric. The only thing I can say is that I love both the pattern and the feel.
The binding is from stash - a simple pink and white stripe which is sweet for the front and goes beautifully with the back.
I am so pleased that I cut up some of my most recent (and most limited) Liberty purchases. Alice and the Mad Hatter both make an appearance in this quilt.
Finished dimensions: 57" x 75"
Number of 2½" squares: 1064
Over 100 different Liberty tana lawn prints included
This quilt is staying with us. I love it and it seems to be a hit with Brutus, too!
Thank you for visiting!