Friday 29 August 2014

Finito

This is not one of my favourite quilts, but it is for one of my favourite people, my nephew Romeo, so for that reason I am pleased it is finished and I know he is going to be thrilled when it arrives in the post tomorrow.  He made a request for all the elements in this quilt (elephants, lions, cars, diggers, football, Manchester United, the colour red).  I must love him because I am not a fan of Manchester United and yet there is just so much Manchester United insignia on here.


I struggled to get the quilt photographed as a whole quilt because as I headed outside with the camera it started to drizzle, so I was forced indoors.  Essentially it's two large log cabin blocks which are joined with a Manchester United cushion cover I acquired and cut to pieces.


The binding is scrappy binding and is made from the remnants of the red fabrics.  I don't use red much so I am glad I made good use of it here because I don't want lots of it hanging around and taking up valuable fabric storage space.


You may have noticed the Manchester United badge which I have appliqued on five times.  I would like to say this was always intended and is a design feature, but that would be a lie.  I made a couple of stitching mistakes so I used these to cover them up but I think it adds to the overall quilt in the end and makes the front match the back a little more.


Manchester United haven't had much success recently so there has been less for Romeo to celebrate.  Here's hoping this puts a smile on his face.

6 comments:

  1. It's very cute I must say! I am sure Romeo will be very pleased. :-)
    Visiting from crazy mom quilts...Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm looking forward to hearing from him today.

      Delete
  2. It's a great boy quilt! I've found making quilts for my nephews so much harder than my nieces but I think you've done an excellent job at getting everything he asked for in while still having a great colour story

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girls are easier to make quilts for! I've had the same experience. But this is what he asked for, so he should like it.

      Delete
  3. Your quilt has turned out beautifully! Congratulations!! Romeo is going to be very happy with it!! :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He phoned me today and said "it's awesome!" I'm a very happy auntie now! Thanks for the comment.

      Delete